Estimated reading time: 5 minutes

I Hurry Up And Waits!

All things come to him who waits – provided he knows what he is waiting for.

Mary is off to work, and I am in the new place, awaiting the arrival of the garage floor folks. They arrived right on time as I was moving the trash cans to the street. Neat, the trash days are the same so I do not have to relearn that piece of the move!

I thought about doing all the work around the house myself; then I remembered how I felt when I got up this morning!

The Epoxy1day guys arrived right on time and got to work. Thye ground up the floor, making it porous, and mentioned that the floor was in excellent condition, the best they had seen in a long time!

They ground the cement to make it quite porous so the epoxy coatings would grab onto the surface.

The first coat was a sealer and a bonding agent.  The second coat was a “glue,” and then they tossed their chips down.

Tossing the chips onto the wet and very sticky second coat was the best part of the process.  The young men thought it was New Year’s Eve all over again!

Tossing the epoxy chips!

After it has set for a while to vacuum up any loose chips and it was ready for the final epoxy clear resin coat. The final steps went well, and the floor looks fantastic.

They did say use a blower to clean things up, and the epoxy doesn’t like water a  lot.  I plan to drywall the remaining non-drywalled areas and minimized the typical garage clutter.  I will attempt to put my shop in the garage and move the typical garage clutter to a Tuff-Shed in the more than ample back yard!

The guys (Joe and Zack)  and I will remove the old garage lights and wire the garage, and then I am going to call these same guys to drywall the garage. We will put in BRIGHT, bright LEDs.  It’s going to be a fashion shop when I am done, suitable for “Better Homes and Gardens.”

Mary had a great idea (duh, what would you expect).  Instead of having Zack come over after work and miss time with his family, we are going to have him schedule the work through his company that was a) he gets paid, b) he works during the day and gets home on time, c) he is NOT away from the varmints, and d) his company makes money! Yes, I am going to keep Mary around!

The floor looks great!

Meanwhile, Scout, The Wonder Dog, and I frolicked in the yard with me watering some brown spots and Scout keeping various spots in the grass warm.  He loves his new yard and prances around the place like he owns it; well, I guess he does.

Scouts favorite game, “Dead Dog.”

The yard looks pretty good.  I attempted to love the trash can labeled “green waste,” It took all the strength I had!  The wet grass was amazing.  I plan to bring over one or more composters to take advantage of the large yard.

The new grass gets its first haircut.

Sydney ca,e over and a few minutes later Mary arrived.   When Mary arrived, I asked her, “Want to hear a joke about paper? Never mind, it’s tearable.”

Sydney went over the offers, and I believe the Good Lord is shining down on us.  We got a fantastic offer on the Santa Monica house, enough money to pay back the loan I took plus a bunch so we can do things in the Orange house – plus, we got a rental property that is “new” in Silver Lake, which brings in the same amount I was getting from the Santa Monica house! Wow!

Silver Lake is an Eastside neighborhood that fully embraces the hipster lifestyle. Funky blocks with street art are lined with artisanal coffee shops, vegan cafes, and creative Asian eateries, as well as indie music venues, trendy bars, and boutiques. The area also includes fine examples of modernist architecture and a namesake reservoir ringed by a popular walking trail with a dog park and a grassy meadow.

In summary, I sold a sixty-year-old house, got a bag of money plus another rental property bringing in the same amount of money, AND we did not have to throw out our excellent tenants. Plus, the escrow will close rapidly, and the timing is perfect.

The only good luck many great men ever had was being born with the ability and determination to overcome bad luck.

Sydney headed home before sunset, and Mary and I went to Rockwell’s and bought dinner for three; yes, we went to Jan’s to celebrate.  I told Sydney, “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.”

We got home about 10:30 PM. My eyes did not open until 7:00 AM the next day; I was too pooped to pop!

I must find this song and play it…. it may be my new theme song!

About Paul

Just an old retired guy trying to finish out my last years on this planet. I lost my best friend and wife in early 2020. I was blessed again by reconnecting with Dr. Mary Côté, a long-time friend. Mary and I got married July 28th, 2021, and are enjoying life together and plan to spend the rest of our lives being a blessing to our friends and family.
This entry was posted in Friends, Working Around House. Bookmark the permalink.