Ah! Perhaps A Quiet Sunday?

No one has a finer command of language than the person who keeps his mouth shut.

I was up at 4:00 AM with the danged cough that will not go away!  Finally, I went into the office, which is quite large, and did some file organizing, straightened up my desktop, and made plans to move some files around! I try to remember, “To every bird, his own nest is beautiful.”

By 6:00 AM, I was decluttered; unfortunately, that did not last very long!.

While passing the time, I looked up my old home address, and it sold on August 10th.  It looks a little sterile, but I am sure the new owners will personalize it.

It was 2,000 SF with two bathrooms and three bedrooms on a 7,00 square foot lot; Now we have 3800 SF with five bedrooms and four baths, and a 17,000 square foot lot! We are golden!

Mary was awake about 6:30 AM, so I suggested we sit on the patio, listen to a little Dolly Pardon, and have our coffee.  We did that, and when the sun came up around 7:00 AM, we “hit the spa” and sat in the 94-degree heat, sipping coffee and talking.  We never run of things to talk and laugh about.

I decided to fix breakfast because I had a large ribeye steak in the frig, and we had some great eggs ready to cook.  I told Mary to go rest while I slaved over the BBQ.  I fired up the BBQ and got the hot plate ready for the eggs.  I set the table inside this morning to be different.

This was the first time I had really cooked in the kitchen, so I turned on the burner, placed a grille over it, and waited a few minutes.  To cook the eggs, I added butter. Well, the butter turned brown, and smoke was everywhere. I think I had the heat up too high; give me a break; it was a new kitchen top burner.

Yup! A little too high!!

In the background, I heard smart sensors scream, “WARNING WARNING Madman at the kitchen stove, my sensors are about to trip, standby for a deafening noise”  Instantly, I turned on the stovetop exhaust.

Mary can down the long hallway in a panic because her alarm was predicting dire consequences.  Needless to say, we survived and had a delightful steak and eggs for breakfast!

Except for the smoke event, breakfast was super!

We watched a movie as Mary just needed some downtime.  I missed a call on the phone, but when I dialed back, it was Joe saying, “Dad, open your garage door in two minutes.”  The little bugger came over with cement in hand, and he set the new flagpole right in the ground.  We will hoist it tomorrow evening, and I will set up a temporary nightlight.  It is 25′ tall so that it will be seen from the main streets around the house.  I am proud to fly my countries flag.

Thank You, Son! I will fly the flags high! YES, it is telescopic and goes up 25 feet! I should mention, Joe is eleven feet tall!

Joe departed right after putting up the flagpole, and I watched a little TV with Mary.  She was still not doing great.  I went to to the market and got her tomato basil soup and some other goodies.  I also did a load of wash which was no big thing.

We almost killed our hibiscus.  I transplanted him into a new pot; a good thing!  The rock I put at the bottom of the pot to allow for drainage was too flat, so water did NOT drain out.  Mary discovered that a few days later when she noticed standing water in the pot.  I rolled it over, such my finger in the hole, and water came pouring out; he did NOT get any water for a week.  Now he gets 10 minutes of drip line every morning.  It is looking good!

Hibiscus buds and flowers are edible, with a lemony taste, and are rich in vitamin C. They can be used in chutneys, soups, salads, curries, jams and jellies. Dried, they are also used in herbal tea.


New growth everywhere; he is saved!

I introduced Mary to a series, Grace & Frankie.  She binge-watched the entire first season.  We crashed early and she actually called in and canceled her Monday appointments; she is not feeling well.

While I do not like Fonda, I will admit the show is funny; deals with a lot of topics and is well written!

She was continuing to watch Grace & Frankie.  I went to the patio and watched the moon progress across the sky!

Love our patio and the view; so peaceful and quiet!

We were dead to the world before 9:00 PM; hopefully, today’s rest will work wonders for us.

As I laid in bed I thought to myself how incredibly lucky I have been to have such amazing women in my life.  The Good Lord must be watching out for me.

About Paul

Just an old retired guy trying to finish out my last years on this planet. I lost my best friend and wife in early 2020. I was blessed again by reconnecting with Dr. Mary Côté, a long-time friend. Mary and I got married July 28th, 2021, and are enjoying life together and plan to spend the rest of our lives being a blessing to our friends and family.
This entry was posted in Cooking, Family, Just Us, Working Around House. Bookmark the permalink.