Monday, A New Adventure Begins

It’s A Fact! Nothing tops a plain pizza.

So…what are we up to day?  It’s was a slow day with walking, gardening, and visiting Irene at Malarkey’s on the agenda plus the little oddities that affect our lives.

First the walk…target Bank Of America!  Derned taxes are due again so we floated a loan from one account into another…juggling the books! We didn’t have too but it gave Paul a good reason for the morning walk! 

While on the way to the bank he got to talk to Lisa C. which is always a great way to start the day…Lisa is so positive about everything and so bubbly! Lisa is married to Pete, our son-in-law. She lives near Oceanside with PEte in a new home where they have a vegetable garden,

Three plus miles to/from the bank! Not too bad!

Paul has been posted pictures of the Myrtles around the hood and here is a great example of the Myrtle trees on Seal Beach Blvd.  They stay blooming for several months providing color to the local area. The only true myrtle tree is a large shrub or small tree with the Latin name Myrtus communis.

Did You Know? In the Judeo-Christian Bible, myrtle trees signify life and fertility. The myrtle tree referred to in this context is related to the California laurel (Umbellaria californica), also called Oregon myrtle or myrtlewood.

A beautiful tree that really like the heat!

After lunch, Paul headed for the garden and finished off berry trimming and cleaning up the trimmings from yesterday.  Thanks to welders gloves, Paul made it without a scratch!  The berries looks pretty good now so all we have to do is tie up the new growth because berries come onto the new growth only.

The babies are ready to grow for next years crop

Paul’s Random Memories: While working in the yard, somehow my pea-brain remembered the house he grew up in.  When Mom and Dad bought their new home in 1936, it was probably 1000 square feet but over the years Dad added a den and a large bedroom-bath. 

My bedroom was pretty small…just fit a single bed and that was about all.  As I got into Junior High School and had homework, I needed a bigger room. We had my great grand-mother living with us also and after she passed, it was converted to a sewing room as it smaller than my room.

For two years, I moved my bedroom to the “washroom” which was a 20’x10′ room addition attached to the garage.  The old ringer washer/dryer lived out there until Dad got mom a new washer and dryer leaving the wash-room just for me.  I loved that old room even in the dead of winter.  I set up my ham radio equipment out there and often got up at 3:00 AM and chased DX (ham radio talk for communicating long distances with other hams…mostly internationally.  I even made an intercom in the 7th grade out of a four tube Zenith table radio  so I could talk to Mom and Dad in the house.

Then one day, Mom and Dad said “You can have our room” and it was magic.  The room was probably 20’x20′ and had it’s own bathroom!  Wow!  I really did not appreciate what Mom and Dad did for me until years later. 

My new room had a full size office desk in it (for the ham radio) and a double bed, and it had three large windows overlooking the back yard.  I could sit at my desk and watch the antenna on the top of the 71′ tower rotate to point in the direction to hear best.  Wow!  The antenna was turned by a prop-pitch 24 V motor I rigged up from surplus parts…it was likely a motor used in WWII or the Korean Ward to change the blade pitch on aircraft

I had amazing parents that I didn’t appreciate for many many years!  I sure do now!

At the top of the tower, 75 feet up I had a Gonset Tri-Band five
element yagi
I had an old RME 4350 receiver and had to leave it on 24×7 because it “drifted” so bad when it was warming up!

About 3:00 PM Paul quit the yard work and came in the house…too hot! We watched some NCIS before cleaning up and heading to Malarkey’s. Irene joined us and we spent two hours just jabbering away.  We are lucky to have Irene in our lives…such a good friend!

Not “spectacular” but perfectly acceptable!

We arrived home about 7:45 PM and watched TV until midnight. Yes, we had our tookies about 11:00 PM.

About Paul

Just an old retired guy trying to finish out my last years on this planet loving my best friend and wife, having fun, learning, and passing on helpful things to others.
This entry was posted in Food and Wine, Friends, Gardening, Walking. Bookmark the permalink.