Estimated reading time: 3 minutes

Poke, Prod, Test! I Was A Human Pin Cushion.

Memories: Mom Made Me Into Superman!  It was 1955, and Superman was a hot item with a black-and-white weekly show on TV. It was October, and Halloween was around the corner. We all talked about what we wanted to be for Halloween, and all the guys wanted to be Superman, The Man Of Steel. One could buy a costume for $4-6 dollars.

My mother was a fantastic seamstress pus very creative  I asked for a superman costume, and she went to work. OMG, the suit was handmade and fit perfectly. The”trunks” were handmade with shiny red material. The “S” was just like the real things, and to cap it off, I had a red polished cotton cape, and Mom created new boots from some red heavy-duty oilcloth. The costume was amazing. I flew around the neighborhood for weeks!

It looks like I just came off the movie lot!

I showed up at school with my new costume, and the kids went bonkers. Most of the guys had red pajamas, red towels tied around their necks,  reddish swim trunks, and an odd assortment of galoshes in various colors. The “S” on their chest was sometimes painted on, sometimes pinned on, I swear some were stapled on, and sometimes done with a magic marker. They looked just like the Little Rascals would have looked!

The costumes did not fit, and the guys were tripping over themselves left and right!

After I got home, Mom’s phone was ringing off the hook. All the other moms wanted my Mom to make their little boys a Superman Suit. Mom has to stop answering the phone! She did not attend the PTA meeting and wore a mustache for a week before Halloween.

I was in the hospital today, and although it was tranquil, I could not sleep. I wandered the hallways most of the night with only a 3:00 am interruption to speak to a doctor. Mary came to the hospital at 7:30 am in case another doctor was coming by, but all she had was me.

I did not take any meds with me, and all day long, I was sans meds, and the BP was returning to normal in the 120s-130s. WTH?

Robin popped over at 5:30 pm and brought us Subway for dinner.

Finally, the cardiologist dropped in at about 7:00 pm, and we gave him the life story plus tons of data from the past three months.

Oh, dear!

We decided it was the five; count them, five. BP meds were not interacting so well together. He said to go cold turkey without, and I did! I was back to myself!

Robin and Mary departed at 7:30 pm to get some well-deserved rest.

Me? I paced the halls all night long, harassing the nurses all night. I cracked them up with my Moon Walk, and when I took the heart rate monitor, and asked how the walkie-talkie worked.

Ask me in private, and I will reveal what else I did!

The verdict was in; I had to stay another night. Several nurses called in with the bubonic plague when they learned I was in for the duration! Was I that bad?

About Paul

Just an old retired guy trying to finish out my last years on this planet. I lost my best friend and wife in early 2020. I was blessed again by reconnecting with Dr. Mary Côté, a long-time friend. Mary and I got married July 28th, 2021, and are enjoying life together and plan to spend the rest of our lives being a blessing to our friends and family.
This entry was posted in Doctor, Family, Memories. Bookmark the permalink.