Friday On The Island (Page Four)
We made it... Now a quick walk to the hotel!
Chugging right along!
Do you see the reflection?
Getting everybody checked in
Everybody is checked in now... Time to play
Great improvement.... No tent this year!
We had help with our bags BUT we forgot to mention
that Holly brought her rock collection!
Mary has her patio drinking clothes on ready to go!
First things first... Von's Run... Bob and Pal headed to Von's to get this afternoons neessary supplies...starting with wine and a can of weenies!
Bob had to sit after the run to the market
We are ready to receive the gifts from Von's!
Bill pours the bubbley!
We have our own little "Bubbley Detector"
It was a magnificant day!
Plenty of boats resting in the harbor
"What is your favorite drink?"
Did You Know? - The cocktail "Buffalo Milk" can be had only in Avalon or Two Harbors. The specialty drink, which is absolutely not made from the milk of a buffalo, was developed during a quiet winter by an experimental bartender in Two Harbors, according to island legend. Crème de cacao, Kahlua, crème de Banana, and vodka are mixed, poured over ice, topped with half and half, and finished with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Now the signature beverage can be ordered at just about any watering hole on the island. Try the original at the Harbor Reef Restaurant in Two Harbors, or belly up in Avalon at Avalon Grille.
Nina found a friend!
Did You Know? - A panda’s throat has a special lining to protect it from bamboo splinters.
The wine seems to be disa[[earing?
Perhaps a bijink on the beach???
Charlie finds the patio!
A "Palm Pecker"?
Did You Know? - Catalina's Acorn Woodpecker is not your average bird?
- Just because you see them everywhere doesn’t mean they’re not cool. In fact, it’s all the more reason to tell your guests about them! Need another reason? Acorn Woodpeckers are actually one of the most interesting birds in North America.
- The Acorn Woodpecker has a very complicated social system. Family groups hold territories, and young woodpeckers stay with their parents for several years and help the parents raise more siblings. Most birds don’t engage in this kind of cooperative behavior.
- Several different individuals of each sex may breed within one family, with up to seven breeding males and three breeding females in one group. Strange but true!
- All members of an Acorn Woodpecker group spend large amounts of time storing acorns. Acorns typically are stored in holes drilled into a single tree, called a granary tree. One granary tree may have up to 50,000 holes in it, each of which is filled with an acorn in autumn.
- The Acorn Woodpecker will use human-made structures to store acorns, drilling holes in fence posts, utility poles, buildings, and even automobile radiators. Occasionally woodpeckers will put acorns into places where it cannot get them out. Woodpeckers were once recorded putting 485 pounds of acorns into a wooden water tank in Arizona!
- Acorn Woodpeckers rely on their stored acorns to survive (and thrive) in times when insects are unavailable.
He was pretty bust all afternoon
"Geeze.... He is a long way up!"
Kathleen watches the Acorn Woodpeckers drop their goodies
"There are ZERO calories in a strawberry!"
Visiting goes on until dinner time and then we are off!
Looks like Fred is picking up the bill!
Sue and Gayle partake of the vino!
All we had to do was stroll down the street to the Avalon Grill!
...and we get a free movie ticket with each meal!
Ah... Gayle gets happy everytime we sing Happy Birthday...
It's Gayle's "Birthday Month"
Bob receives proper behavorial instructions from the boss!
"Oh... It's a surprise present... a roll"
Bob didn't want to toast the bread with all the necessary candles!
Kathleen talks to her fox
Paul and Sue are ready to order...
Amazing... We are here!
Guess who's phone this is?
I know what the movie is...
A quick walk...and a taxi... and it is movie time!
Time to go to the movie theater!
Beautiful inside and fantastic acoustics
Let the movie begin!
Nothing like being in a taxi on Lover's Lane!
A great way to end the evening!